Jashi #2

"Wake up, bro!"

It was the voice of my little brother, who died in an accident when he was ten.

"Wake up, bro! You'll be late for school."

Shut up. Let me sleep for three more minutes.

"Wake up, bro! If you don't wake up, YOU WILL DIE !"



I woke up with a jolt. Was I asleep?? That was simply impossible. How could I sleep in such a terrifying and stressful situation??

I glanced at my uncle next to me. He was sleeping. Quickly I shook him awake. He jumped up from the rock he had been sitting on. I looked at my watch. Half-past five. It had got much darker around us.

A cold sweat broke over me.

"Hey, can you hear that?"
"Eh?"
"A voice... a song?"

I focused all my attention on listening.
I heard a voice coming from the right hand side, not very far from us .
The voice was getting lounder by the minute.

On the surface it sounded like some sort of a folk song, sung in an unnaturally high voice.
Terror struck me so hard that I thought I would go mad. The moment you heard the voice, you began to hate everything in the world.

"Listen! Light up just its feet!"

My uncle cried out, and with the flashlight I lit up only the lower part of the bush from which the creature was trying to come out.
I saw his legs; hairless and abnormally white. Wiggling its whole body, it was moving slowly closer and closer to us.

But the song! It was terrible! My mind went blank for a brief second.

"Aaaaaaaggghhh!"
"Noo!"

The creature suddenly dropped down on all fours and deliberately moved his face within the circle of light where previously there were only his feet. I looked straight into his eyes. The same strong emotion which had struck me in the early afternoon had me in its grips again. I wanna die I wanna die I wanna die! I'd rather die than see this creature's face!

My uncle too had knocked over his bottle and was wailing like a mad man. The flashlight which had dropped to the ground lit up the creature's hideous body. He was singing the horrible song and crawling on all fours, coming closer and closer to us, in a jerky movement as if he was a new-born calf. In his right hand he held a rusty scythe.
I was ready to commit suicide by biting off my tongue, when:

Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!
My uncle's mobile went off.

My uncle stopped crying apparently due to the shock of hearing the sudden, loud sound. He took the mobile out of his coat pocket and stared at it.
What's he doing at a time like this..? We're about to die...I thought, and watched him with astonishment.

The mobile was still ringing. Driiing! My uncle stood there staring at the mobile in the semi-darkness.
The creature was coming towards me. I peed in my pants. I'm going to die.

At that very moment my uncle, with an ear-splitting yell, picked up the flashlight from the ground, ran over to me and grabbed my bottle.

"Don't look! I'm gonna light up his face so close your eyes!" I threw myself on the ground, my sunglasses came off, and I put my hands over my head and closed my eyes tight. This is what happened next, according to my uncle:

He firstly lit up the creature's face and checked its location out of the corner of his eyes. This sounds a bit dirty, but my uncle took the bottle and poured the urine in his mouth, and keeping the light still directed towards the creature's face, he squatted down and sprayed the urine all over the creature's face. The creature screamed like a horse. My uncle, his eyes closed, sprayed the urine over and over again onto the creature's eye.

Again I heard the creature's piercing scream, but it was still there! My frightened uncle then pulled down his trousers and underwear, and lit up his penis. The creature came face to face with it. It finally turned its back on us, after uttering unintelligible but horrible-sounding curses.

It was at this point that I opened my eyes again. My uncle kept the light focused on the receding back of the creature. As he slowly moved away from us, he still kept wiggling its body, while singing the creepy song. Its steps were slower than an old geezer walking with a stick. We kept the light on him until he was well out of our sight. We had to fight the fear that at any moment the creature might turn around and start attacking us again. After what seemed like an eternity he disappeared into the dark.

We said not a word as we dragged ourselves back to our cottage. Once we were inside the cottage, my uncle made sure all the doors were locked and after that poured us some coffee.
After taking a sip from the cup, I asked my uncle, "Was that what you meant by diverting its interest from us?"
"Kind of. Though my private part had become such a sorry sight that for a moment I doubted it would have any effect on him at all," my uncle replied with a wry smile.

And then little by little, he started telling me about Jashi..



Go to Jashi 3#
Go back to Jashi 1#

Go back to Saya in Underworld

Popular posts from this blog

Kisaragi Station: Part II